Symptoms Of Dehydration And How To Rehydrate

Up to 60% of the human adult body is made of water. According to recommendations by The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, daily water intake should total about 125 ounces for men and 91 ounces for women. About 20% of this daily fluid intake typically comes from food, while the other 80% is up to you to drink. When you don't, your body responds accordingly. 

Heart Healthy Foods to Add to Your Diet

A dehydrated body acts out in a myriad of ways, and how to best treat your bout of dehydration depends on the circumstances. 

According to the Mayo Clinic, most adults with mild to moderate dehydration from diarrhea, vomiting or fever can improve their condition by drinking more water or other liquids. However, diarrhea may actually be worsened by full-strength fruit juice and soft drinks.

So, what should you drink to fight off dehydration? Cool water is the best option for people who become dehydrated doing work or exercising outdoors during hot or humid weather.

Sports drinks containing electrolytes and a carbohydrate solution also may be helpful in this instance.

For infants and children with mild to moderate dehydration from diarrhea, vomiting or fever, an over-the-counter oral rehydration solution can be useful. Start with a teaspoon every one to five minutes. Then, increase as tolerated. For older children, mix one part sports drinks and one part water to help them rehydrate. 

Don't know what symptoms of dehydration to look for in the first place? Here are all the signs you have not been drinking enough water.